Ahmedabad Metro is a system designed for easy and fast travel. Currently operating only in the city of Ahmedabad and a number of listed stations, according to a two-phase plan, the Ahmedabad metro line will connect the city’s Gandhinagar with the modern Gift City within a few years. Ahmedabad Metro is his 8th best metro system in India. According to the Ahmedabad Metro route plan, Phase 1 will have 2 lines with 32 stations and Phase 2 will have 2 lines with 22 stations.
Ahmedabad Metro: Timings
The first Ahmedabad Metro service starts at 10 am and the last metro service is at 6 pm. The runtime of Ahmedabad Metro between Apparel Park and Vastral Gam is 12 minutes and 53 seconds. The runtime of Ahmedabad Metro between Vastral Gam and Apparel Park is 12 minutes and 22 seconds. The time between two consecutive Ahmedabad Metro train services is 20 minutes.
Ahmedabad Metro Objective
Ahmedabad Metro is built to reduce traffic on congested roads and provide convenience to commuters. Ahmedabad Metro has the following objectives:-
- Offer safe travel to commuters.
- Affordable means of transportation. It offers a 10% discount on the metro smart card.
- Reduce travel time and congestion on roads.
Ahmedabad Metro to run till Saturday, 2 AM for IPL Match
March 2023: The Ahmedabad metro services will be extended till 2 AM Saturday, 1st April, in light of the IPL match between Chennai Super Kings and Gujarat Titans at the Narendra Modi Stadium on Friday, 31st March 2023. The metro services usually shut down at 10 PM.
Ahmedabad Traffic East’s Deputy Commissioner of Police gave a traffic diversion plan, saying, “The road from Janpath T junction to Motera stadium T junction will be closed. An alternate route will be available from Janpath to Tapovan via Visat circle to ensure the general movement of vehicles. Additionally, 29 BRTS buses will be deployed for commuting for the IPL viewers, and the metro services will be available till 2 AM Saturday.”
Special shuttle services will also be available from parking areas to the stadium’s gates on Friday for the match. These services are free, and each shuttle will have a seating capacity of 8 people. For those coming from vehicles, car parking space will be available near Gate number 1 and 2 of the stadium. There will be chargeS for vehicle parking in the stadium. To ensure the security of people in the stadium, around 1,600 police personnel will be deployed.
Ahmedabad Metro Route History
Currently, a part of the Ahmedabad Metro is operational, that is, the six stations of the East-West Corridor. The Ahmedabad Metro route running underground for 6.53 km (4.0 mi) between Vastral Gam and Apparel Park became operational on 6th March 2019.
The rest of Phase – 1 of the Ahmedabad Metro is set to be completed by August 2022. And the construction for Phase – 2 started in January 2021. One line of Phase – 2, connecting GNLU to GIFT city, is expected to be operational in early 2024.
The operational Metro trains and those set to use soon have an average speed of 33 km/h (21mph) and a top speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). Ahmedabad Metro has a track gauge of 1435 mm (4 feet 8 inches) and a 750 V DC Third rail electrification.
|Total number of metro stations||31|
|Number of Elevated stations||27|
|Number of underground stations||4|
|Number of stations At-Grade||0|
Ahmedabad Metro route Phase
In 2014, the centre approved around Rs 10,773 crores for phase-1 of Ahmedabad Metro route, for which construction started in March 2015.
Phase-1 of the Metro Ahmedabad route is around 40.03 kms, of which 33.53 kms is elevated and the remaining 6.5 kms is underground. Phase 1 of Ahmedabad Metro is planned to have 32 stations with two corridors.
Ahmedabad Metro: Phase 2
In 2019, the government gave its nod to Phase 2 of Ahmedabad Metro. Phase 2 will be 28.25 kms, with the North-South Corridor being 22.8 kms and the GNLU-GIFT City corridor being 5.416 kms. Reports suggest that Phase-2 will be operational by August 2024.
Purchase/Recharge of Smart Card
- Passenger can purchase Smart card at any operational stations by Payment of Rs. 100/- (Rs. 50/- as Security Deposit and Rs. 50/- as Stored Value) through Cash or POS (Debit/Credit Card). Stored Value Can be used for travelling in Ahmedabad Metro as per fare chart.
- Passenger can recharge CSC in multiple of Rs. 50/- up to maximum of Rs. 3000/-
- Passenger can recharge CSC using Token Vending Machine (TVM) and Recharge Card Machine (RCM) at Operational Station.
- CSC valid for 5 Years from date of Last Recharge.
Use of Smart Card
- Entry-Exit: Tap Smart Card at Entry Fare Gate to Enter into paid area and at Exit Fare Gate to Exit from paid area.
- Sequence: Each Entry shall be followed by Exit while using CSC.
- Mismatch: If Entry-Exit sequence does not follow. There will be Entry-Exit Mismatch Error in CSC. Passenger shall contact Customer Care at station to eliminate error.
- Requirement of Minimum Stored Value: Minimum Stored value required to enter is minimum fare of system.
- Fare Deduction: Fare will be deducted at Exit Fare Gates as per journey performed. In case of Entry & Exit at same station, Minimum Fare of system will be deducted.
- Facilities to check Stored Value: Passenger can check Stored Value through Recharge Card Machine (RCM) and ENQ Machine.
Refund of Smart Card
- Stored Value amount of CSC will not be refunded in Cash.
- In case of Unreadable CSC, refund of Stored Value will be provided in new CSC as per Business Rules of GMRC.
- If passenger wants to refund Readable CSC, only Security Deposit will be refunded after deducting admin charges as per Business Rules of GMRC.
- Process for Refund of Stored value of Unreadable CSC in new CSC will take up to 7 days.
Ticket price for Ahmedabad Fare metro tickets start Rs. 10 to Rs. 100, Book tickets on official webiste. Check more information.
You can find the entire route fare matrix below. The chart below shows the route fare from every station between Thaltej and Vastral Gam.
The minimum route fare is ₹5 and the maximum is ₹25.
Book tickets on official webiste. Check more information.
Ahmedabad Metro is finally open to the public. We, at Aculix, have created the Ahmedabad Metro app to help you enjoy the full benefits of the metro rail.
- Following are the Fare Media allowed for Travelling within GMRC Network
- Contactless Smart Token (CST)
- Contactless Smart Card (CSC)
- Temporary Paper Ticket (It will be used in case of Failure of AFC System)
- Following are Fare Products available for Travelling within GMRC Network
- Single Journey Token (SJT)
- Group Ticket (For Group of Passengers more than 10)
- Tourist Ticket
- Children only under 3 feet (90cms) height are allowed to travel free if accompanied
by an adult.
- Token purchased will be valid for use on business day of Purchase. Business Day will
be considered as per implemented Timetable for Revenue Services.
- Passengers can purchase Fare Media/Products by payment through cash or POS
- Refund of Token:Only unused CST (not used for entry) can be refunded within 30
minutes from time of issue from issuing station.
- Maximum permissible Time:20 minutes in case of Exit from Same Station and 120
Minutes in case of Exit from other Station.
- Luggage Limit:Passenger is allowed to carry luggage of Weight 25 Kg and
Dimension of 80 cm x 50 cm x 30 cm (Length x Breadth x Height). Luggage of Size
and/or weight more than this limit will not be allowed.
- Penalty of Rs. 200/- will be levied if person is caught trying to carrying away
token outside premise of GMRC.
- Penalty of Rs. 10/- per hour per person subject to maximum of Rs. 50/- per
person for staying in paid area for time more than Maximum permissible time.
- If passenger is found without valid Ticket in paid area, Passenger is liable to
pay Penalty of Rs. 50/- plus Maximum fare of the system
- Penalty of Rs. 200/- will be levied if person is caught trying to carrying away
[…] urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) with two lines and 28 stops, the Agra Metro is located in Agra, Uttar Pradesh. The government is […]
[…] currently 10 active stations in the Gurgaon Metro network. Here you can find important and useful information such as Gurgaon Metro Lines, Metro Lines, Opening Hours, First Trains, Last Trains, Route Maps, Fare […]
[…] the new suburban trains beginning to operate within the city, Bengaluru now boasts of MEMU (Mainline Multiple Electric Unit) trains with a carrying capacity of 2,400 […]
[…] Metro Line has several expansion projects planned to extend its reach to more parts of the city. The […]