Ooty, also known as Udhagamandalam, is a popular hill station located in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is known for its scenic beauty, tea plantations, and pleasant weather. The town is a popular tourist destination, attracting thousands of visitors every year. To explore the various attractions in Ooty, visitors need to purchase entry tickets for each attraction they wish to visit. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to know about Ooty entry tickets, including timing, entry fee, discounts, and offers. So, whether you’re planning a family vacation or a solo trip to Ooty, read on to learn more about the entry tickets for the town’s top attractions.
Address: Ooty, Udhagamandalam, Nilgiris..
Timing: The operating hours for Ooty attractions are usually from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. However, some attractions may have different timings, so it is advisable to check beforehand to avoid any inconvenience.
Ticket price for Ooty Entry starts from Rs. 13, Book tickets on official website. Check more information.
- 13 per person for Indians
- 560 per person For Foreigners
- 30 for Still Camera
- 150 for Video Camera
- 240 for 2 seater pedal boat for 30 minutes
- 260 for 4 seater pedal boat for 30 minutes
- 250 for 4 seater row boat for 30 minutes
- 290 for 6 seater row boat for 30 minutes
- 560 for 8 seater motor boat for 20 minutes
- 680 for 10 seater motor boat for 20 minutes
- 990 for 15 seater motor boat for 20 minutes
Cost of Ooty Entry Tickets for Top Attractions
The cost of Ooty entry tickets for popular attractions like Doddabetta Peak, Ooty Lake, and the Botanical Gardens may range from INR 10-20 for Indian nationals and INR 70-100 for foreigners. However, the entry fee for some attractions like the Rose Garden and Government Museum may be lower.
Free Ooty Attractions
There are a few attractions in Ooty that do not charge an entry fee, like the Wax Museum and Thread Garden. These attractions are a great way to enjoy Ooty’s beauty without putting a dent in your wallet.
Group Discounts for Ooty Attractions
Many Ooty attractions offer group discounts, which are ideal for families, school trips, or corporate outings. These discounts may vary from 10-20% depending on the size of the group.
Combo Deals for Ooty Attractions
Some attractions in Ooty may have combo deals, where visitors can explore two or more attractions for a discounted price. These deals help visitors save money while enjoying the best of Ooty.
Book tickets on official website. Check more information.
Ooty Lake Activities and other Things to do
What started as a fishing zone has now turned into an arena for socialising and enjoying a day out with their loved ones. And following is the list of activities available at Ooty Lake –
1. Boating on the lake – The Ooty Lake Boat House run by Tamil Nadu Tourism offers various boat rides to savour the views around. When it isn’t crowded, you can enjoy a serene 30 minutes of ride among the greens, trees and the view of distant hills. Pedal boats, row boats and large motor boats are available for you to hire.
2. Photographing the locality – With the Nilgiris in the backdrop, Ooty Lake is a picture-perfect place for photography enthusiasts to reveal their artistic side. From flowery gardens and evergreen foliage to energetic people to capture in the frame, Ooty Lake stands to have your photographic desires fulfilled.
3. Cycling the periphery – At Ooty Lake, you can even pedal away on an exhausting day. Deposit the rent, pick a cycle and hop on to check the area surrounding the Ooty Lake and the hustle around the food stalls. Those tuck shops have a variety of food to offer and some counters also sell eucalyptus oils, homemade chocolates and other local products.
4. Horse Riding along the shores – Like many other tourist attractions in Ooty, the lake also has arrangements for the adventurer in you to get a horse to ride. Bargain yourself a good deal and take your horse for a joyride or two around the lake.
5. Enjoying comfort food – Apart from the multiple sweets and snacks stalls on the shores of Ooty Lake, there also is a hygienic canteen at the Boat House. From tea and coffee to evening snacks and delicacies from North and South India, the canteen has a range of options to choose from. Sit back with your masala tea or grab a bite to calm the hunger pangs.
6. Hopping on the mini train ride – The mini train in the premises runs along the shores. It is exclusively for the kids to hop on and enjoy a tour of the lake. Adults can take it too but you sure will wish to be a kid again.
7. Having fun at the amusement park – At the amusement park by the Ooty Lake Boat House, you can enjoy various fun activities including break-dance rides, dashing car and the horror house.
Places to visit near Ooty Lake
Once you are satisfied with the time spent at the lake, here are the must-visit places to visit near Ooty Lake.
1. Thread Garden – Situated opposite the Ooty Lake, on the other side of the road, is the small Thread Garden. It is an artificial garden containing flowers, bushes and green lawns, made entirely with thread. Fifty workers, under the guidance of a professor, weaved those beauties in a span of over 12 years.
2. Nilgiri Mountain Railway – Only about 2 km from the lake is the Ooty Railway Station. There, you can book the famed toy train ride. It runs between Ooty and Mettupalayam and takes about 5 hours to complete one side journey of 46 km. The train takes you on a picturesque ride of Nilgiri Mountains and the valley below.
3. Deer Park – Deer Park is a well-maintained green area about 3 km from the lake. You will come across a variety of flora and fauna, and not only deer species. Along with Sambhar, Chital and colourful flowers, hares, rabbits and various birds live together in harmony in the park.
4. Rose Garden – The climate of Ooty provides roses with a long blooming season to flourish, and you will see many rare and exotic varieties of roses in Ooty Rose Garden. These roses, collected from all over the world, are available in a plethora of colours spread all around the area. Ooty Lake to Rose Garden distance is only about 5 km.
5. Botanical Garden – It’s a beautiful garden maintained by the state government, which is on the way from Ooty Lake to Doddabetta Peak, about 2 km from the Rose Garden. It is spread over an area of 55 acres and has lawns and gardens with different aromatic and flowerful bushes. The garden also has greenhouses which have exotic plants.
6. Wax World Museum – Further one kilometre from the Botanical Garden, lies the Wax World Museum. Apart from being a tourist spot, it can also serve as an educational visit for the kids. Lifelike lookalike wax statues of eminent Indian personalities adorn the hall of the building. And it also has a wax model presentation of day to day life activities.
7. Tea Estate View Point – Ooty is known for acres of flourishing tea bushes covering the mountain slopes. And the tea estate view point near Doddabetta is one of the spots which provides mesmerising views of the tea plantations around. Coupled with the Tea Factory and Tea Museum nearby, it is another must-visit place in Ooty. Tea Estate View Point is about 7 km away from Ooty Lake.
8. Doddabetta Peak – Doddabetta (meaning big mountain) is the highest peak in the Nilgiris and is situated about 11 km away from Ooty Lake. The observatory platform provides a breathtaking view of Ooty and the surrounding area, which makes it a favourite among the trekking and camping enthusiasts.
Popular Ooty Attractions
Ooty, also known as Udagamandalam, is a popular hill station in Tamil Nadu, India. It is known for its pleasant weather, scenic beauty, and tourist attractions. Here are some popular Ooty attractions with entry tickets:
Doddabetta Peak is the highest peak in the Nilgiri mountain range, with an altitude of 8,650 feet. It offers a breathtaking view of the surrounding valley and is a popular spot for trekking and photography. The entry fee for Doddabetta Peak is Rs. 10 per person.
Ooty Botanical Gardens
Ooty Botanical Gardens is a beautiful garden spread over 55 acres with a wide variety of plants, flowers, trees, and shrubs. It also has a fossil tree that is believed to be more than 20 million years old. The entry fee for Ooty Botanical Gardens is Rs. 30 per person.
Ooty Lake is an artificial lake, surrounded by green hills and tall trees. It offers boating facilities, and visitors can also enjoy horse riding, cycling, and other outdoor activities. The entry fee for Ooty Lake is Rs. 15 per person.
Government Museum, Ooty
The Government Museum in Ooty showcases the history of the region, including the culture and lifestyle of the tribes in the Nilgiri Mountains. It also has a rare collection of sculptures and paintings. The entry fee for the Government Museum in Ooty is Rs. 10 per person.
Interesting facts about Ooty Lake
Now that you have all the important Ooty Lake information, here are a few interesting facts related to the lake.
- It is an artificial lake that spreads over an area of 65 acres.
- It was constructed for fishing purposes, by the order of collector of Coimbatore – John Sullivan, in 1824.
- Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation took possession in 1973, to develop the place as a tourist attraction.
- “Dil Deewana” song from the Hindi movie “Maine Pyar Kiya” was partially shot here.
- Ooty Lake has also appeared in another Hindi movie Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani.
How to Reach Ooty Lake?
Ooty Lake and Boat House enjoys a prime location, near the city centre. It is conveniently accessible from the bus stop and the railway station, both of which are within 2 km from the lake. Taxis and auto rickshaws are available at both the places to give you a ride to the lake.
And you can always drive your car or book a private cab from top car rental companies in Ooty and visit all the tourist spots there, including Ooty Lake. Here are the other ways to reach Ooty.
By Road – NH67 provides convenient road access to Ooty from the neighbourhood towns and cities. As it’s a prominent tourist destination, regular buses and taxis from Bangalore, Coimbatore, Mysore and other towns are available at affordable prices.
By Rail – Major cities like Chennai and Coimbatore have trains that run daily for Mettupalayam railway station, about 40 km away. The above-mentioned heritage toy train then connects Mettupalayam to Ooty. It takes you through a scenic journey through the Nilgiris and it’s a joyous experience in itself.
By Air – Coimbatore, about 90 km away, has the nearest airport to Ooty. Flights from Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad and other cities (including Bangalore) fly tourists to Coimbatore, daily. International tourists will find it convenient to get tickets to Bangalore. It’s 300 km away from Ooty, and has plenty of flight connections to other countries.
Can I book Ooty entry tickets online?
Yes, you can book entry tickets for Ooty’s attractions online. It is a convenient way to avoid long queues and save time. Many websites, travel agencies, and even the official tourism website of Tamil Nadu offer online booking options.
Do I need to purchase separate entry tickets for each attraction?
Yes, visitors need to purchase separate entry tickets for each attraction they wish to visit in Ooty. The cost of entry tickets varies depending on the attraction, and visitors can select only the attractions they want to visit.
Are there any discounts on Ooty entry tickets?
Yes, visitors can avail discounts on Ooty entry tickets. Most attractions offer discounts for groups, families, students, and seniors. Visitors can also opt for combo deals that provide a discounted price for multiple attractions.
Can I get a refund for my Ooty entry ticket if I am unable to visit the attraction?
No, most attractions do not offer refunds for entry tickets once they are purchased. However, some attractions allow visitors to reschedule their visit for another day or time. It is advisable to check the rescheduling policies of the attraction before purchasing the entry tickets.